Sunday, October 5, 2008

Poor Little Laura Lou ....

I am finally able to update my blog after a crazy week. Laura has had a few "issues" that have made her not feel her best. Monday, Laura began acting like she was not feeling well. She ate a great lunch and then did not eat any dinner. I did not think too much about this. Tuesday when we were at preschool, Laura was telling the teacher that she was "so sad about Jessi not coming over." When I went to hug her, she was hot!! I thought, GREAT!! She was also complaining about her mouth hurting, so I thought, fever.....sore throat, must be strep. I took her to the doctor and she has nothing wrong other than a fever of 103. The doctor thought she may have a stomach problem since she was complaining of abdominal pain. The doctor told me if she has in change in her bowel movements to call. That evening, sure enough, she did. I called the doctor and he sent us to Scottish Rite. After a 3 hour wait, we finally saw the doctor. He said that since she was not in immediate distress, he sent us home and told us to follow up in the morning with a GI doctor to address her constipation problems. I called our pediatrician the next morning, and they sent us back to Scottish Rite for some testing that they SHOULD have done the night before. Everything appeared to be OK. She did not have any immediate issues (obstruction, perforation, tumor) that needed to be delt with. When we left, our regular doctor called and told us to call if she started vomiting. Sure enough, almost as if on cue, at 5am the next morning she began vomiting. I called the doctor...again. The doctor wanted us to go back to Scottish Rite. I told him that I would rather wait until the office opened and see our regular doctor instead of trying to recap a history with a totally new doctor that was not familiar with Laura. We went to our appointment around 12 noon. Laura was acting pretty strange. She was talking about things that were not in the room, and neither the doctor nor I could make out what she was talking about. And if you know Laura, she normally talks pretty well. So they sent her to Cobb Hospital to be admitted for dehydration. When we got there, they had to start an IV, which was very traumatic for Laura. Her blood work showed she was dehydrated which can cause the "crazy talk" she was doing. It is amazing was a little IV fluid can do for a person. She had perked up by the next day. The doctor decided to keep her another night supported on IV fluids before sending her home. By Saturday she had certainly perked up enough to come home.
Today, she has a follow up appointment today. They are then going to refer us to a GI doctor. I am just happy she is back to herself and that we are back at home. Mom and Dad told me that Laura is not allowed anymore problems until Justin is better!!! I think they may be getting tired!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Poor Little Laura!! That is so frustrating to be pushed around from doctor to doctor. I hope she feels better, and that the family can get some rest!

Angela said...

I think they've tried them all! Libby said castor oil worked for her sister, so maybe I'll tell her to try that!